Molly in Africa

Friday, May 18, 2007

Arrival and ants!

After travelling for a little more than 24 hours, Erin and I arrived at the airport in Entebbe Uganda (just 45 minutes south of Kampala) to be greeted by Fr. Simon Peter (probably my favorite person in Uganda), two of his sisters (Teddy and Noelline) and his friend George. We spent the day going out to a village near Masaka where I celebrated Christmas with my family to see the school that he is building out there- St. Joan of Arc. It's coming along amazingly- when we left, they only had the land bought but no progress on it, now it has a foundation, walls, and they are in the midst of putting up a ceiling. While there, I had my first adventure- attack of the ants! Fr. Simon Peter had warned us to not step on the ants and even after we stepped over them we stomped our feet, but apparently some ant had gotten onto my skirt because about five minutes later i felt something biting me on my side. I reached under my shirt and pulled off a large ant. Soon after that I could feel another one biting my leg and then one had attached itself into one of my fingers on my right hand. Since I was holding something in the left hand, I tried to just brush it of, but it had a stinger literally IN my finger, so I had to turn to Fr. Simon Peter for some help with that. That one drew blood. They (Fr. Simon Peter, his sister and Erin) spent the next two minutes checking my skirt and patting down my back to make sure there weren't any more on me. I found a couple more a few minutes later, but then I really was all clear. To be honest, it wasn't even a big deal,just a surprising adventure to start off this summer!

I've gotten a chance to use my Luganda skills a bit, but I still feel like I wish I knew the language better. Luckily, once Erin and I go east to Mbale on Sunday or Monday, I won't really need to know Luganda at all.

Today, Erin and I spent the day in Kampala- changing money, getting me a cell phone and picking up some other things. We're having dinner tonight with a friend of mine who did my study abroad program in the fall and has also returned to uganda for the summer. I just spoke to a friend on the phone today and I'll get to meet up with him tomorrow. It's fun getting to see people again!

Oh, CRAZY story! While walking around in Kampala this morning, we were walking my the taxi park and it was very busy- people everywhre, bumping into you, asking for money etc. Well, these two kids say, "Mzungu!" and I didn't even look down because I didn't want to have to make eye contact with some kid that was going to ask me for money and then have to tell him no. Well then they said, "Mzungu, how are you?" So I turned to look at them and said, "fine, how are you?" Then they said fine and I was going to keep walking bu t they tugged on my hand and asked how i was again. Well, once I responded they said, "CRO!" These two boys were some of my CRO boys from Mbale!!! They weren't regulars at CRO, so I didn't know either of their names, but once they gave me a context for why I would recognize them, I did. I was so impressed by them! Not only did they remember the white woman (because really that wouldn't be that impressive), they were able to distinguish me from Erin enough to know that I was the one who had been with them last fall! So cool!

Ok, that was way longer than I intended, but thanks for reading! I'll post again after we've been in Mbale for a week to let you all know how that is going!

7 Comments:

At 2:48 PM, May 20, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay! I checked your blog just to see if you might be blogging again. Hooray! It's great to hear your experiences.

Love ya,
Janet

 
At 4:17 PM, May 20, 2007, Blogger Mary Schaafsma said...

Molly,

I am so excited for you; how wonderful that you have this opportunity to return to Uganda. You will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Mary Schaafsma

 
At 4:17 PM, May 20, 2007, Blogger Mary Schaafsma said...

Molly,

How exciting that you have the opportunity to return to Uganda. You'll be in my thoughts and prayers.

Love,
Mary Schaafsma

 
At 6:10 PM, May 20, 2007, Blogger mark said...

Just heard from your mom. Loved both the email and your blog. We all remembered you in prayer group last night. What I can't understand is why your AUNTS are biting you. Haha.

 
At 8:09 PM, May 20, 2007, Blogger Nora said...

hey mol! just got an email from your mom and one from you so I figured I should start checking your blog again! I didn't realize you'd be back in Africa so soon...it's awesome that things worked out the way they did. Can't wait to hear more about your adventures...and see you this fall when I'm in the states for college!! :)

love you!

 
At 1:14 PM, May 22, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Molly,

So glad to read the updates here. We also get an update on Monday evenings from your mom. Have a great summer and I look forward to reading the updates.

JulieC

 
At 9:42 PM, May 22, 2007, Blogger Therese Block said...

Hi Molly-
I was searching my email for David's address and came up with this link you had sent a while ago. I filed it away and never got a chance to look at until today!! WOW! What an experience you must be having. David was the guest speaker at Lincoln's honors night tonight - which, unfortunaltey, I couldn't attend:( My inside sources told me was absolutely maginificent! You MUST stop by when you return to fill me on your travels. I've spent the last half hour reading your blog - it's amazing. Hope all is well with the Heinemans - please say hello to everyone. Take care - and stay away from the ants! We'll save a few cicadas for you!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home