Molly in Africa

Sunday, November 23, 2008

Obama's Good Luck Ax



(Sorry this post is a bit overdue)

Most of you probably spent your time on Tuesday, 4 November the same way I did- sitting in the one room in the 2km radius that has a functional satellite tv with two other Americans and their large bottle of water (since it's ridiculously hot here), four Malawians and a Kenyan with an ax.  "Why the ax?" you might ask.  Well, this particular Kenyan (Br. Adoka) thought that having something from Kenya with him would help him properly cheer Obama into presidency.  He called it Obama's Good Luck Ax.  Below is a photo of Adoka and I with our respective flags in celebration of Obama's win. :)


We DID have the chance to watch and celebrate Obama's victory over here.  Matty, Andy and I woke up at 4am on Wednesday morning here to watch as the polls were closing and the votes were coming in.  My parents called at 6:30am, right after McCain had given his speech, and were able to chat about all the election news... including the fact that Dave and Maryjoy were down at Grant Park to be a part of Obama's victory night!

It was a great day here... my co-workers were incredibly supportive of me and my joy for the news!  They actually cheered when I walked into the staff room that morning because I had already spoken with some of them on the phone that morning to share the news.  People in Malawi were excited about Obama's victory in general (not just people who knew Americans) and it was cool to be a part of the celebration in this part of the world. :)

I have two or three more blogs to post in the next two days but the internet is acting up today so I'll try again tomorrow.

1 Comments:

At 1:07 AM, November 24, 2008, Blogger Luke Shepard said...

I think it's so cool that while your brother is about as close as he could get to Obama, you were about as close as anyone I know to his father's homeland. Crazy set of circumstances, that - something to tell the grandkids. Keep it up, Molly!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home