Molly in Africa

Thursday, October 30, 2008

Another woman to meet...


This is Margaret Nyirenda and she is caring for her 4 grandchildren by herself.  Their parents died and Margaret is a widow.  She joined MIRACLE to help support her eldest granddaughter who is in secondary school because she didn't have enough money for school fees.  When we visited her yesterday, she told us that she was so grateful for MIRACLE because her granddaughter just graduated from secondary school this term!

In our meeting with all the women in her village after we visited her home, Margaret was a clear advocate for our office, the program policies and how we stick to them.  Several times women asked questions that Margaret chose to answer instead of forcing us to repeat policies we have.

Margaret is just another example of why I'm grateful to be a part of this program.  Knowing that the work we're doing is leading to grandmothers caring for their grandchildren is definitely something I can support. :)


Other than the Women's Empowerment Program, things are going well in my life here.  This weekend I'll be headed to Mzuzu (a city about 4 hours from Karonga) with 35 MIRACLE students for a YCS (Young Christian Students) retreat/conference.  I'm excited and a little nervous to go because I don't know what to expect.  I am looking forward to spending more time with my students- they're great!  Last night we had our bi-monthly dinner with the Brothers' community next door and it was a blast!  I really enjoy them and am continually enjoying interacting with them more- both in prayer and just around Karonga.

Alright, time to get back to work now...

Feel free to keep in touch (mhoganh@gmail.com)!

1 Comments:

At 9:04 AM, October 30, 2008, Blogger JM said...

That is so awesome Molly. It must be wonderful to have people like Margaret validating your time and effort. I know it makes me smile to hear how truly appreciated you are and that you are receiving the support you should. Keep it up!

Love,
Jamie

 

Post a Comment

<< Home