Molly in Africa

Saturday, August 12, 2006

it's a numbers game...

And the numbers are: 9, 10.5, 2 and 16

9... shots! I had to get NINE shots before leaving for Uganda. I've had seven so far (four one day and three another) and I still have two more to receive. The shots were for Hepatitis A, Rabies (that one's a three shot series), Polio booster, Typhoid, Meningococcal meningitis, Yellow Fever and something else that I can't think of right now... then of course I'll also have to take Malaria pills while I'm there. So, that will be daily pills starting two days before departure and continuing at least four weeks after returning!


10.5... inches! I had 10.5 inches of hair cut off this past Monday and donated it to Locks of Love. I think it will be easier to take care of when I'm there if it's short because I won't have to use as much shampoo, not as much dirt (or whatever else) can get in it and I won't have to worry about all those tangles! Also, it'll be nice to have short hair because of the temperature there (average= 75 degrees)!



2... presentations! I invited some family and friends that are in the area to join me for "dessert and discussion" (as my mum called it). These presentations involved me giving a presentation about the location of Uganda, what my study abroad program entails, what my four months of volunteering will look like, what the current conditions are in Uganda and showing a brief, but very informative movie about the children soldiers and night commuters in Northern Uganda. Thank you to those of you who were able to come because I really appreciate the support--especially now that it's informed support!

16...days! Only 16 days left until I leave for Uganda (August 28th). I leave tomorrow for seven days in Dayton with my friends and checking in with some teachers. I'll also be doing a lot of Africa reading which I haven't finished yet. Then I'll be back in Skokie for another nine days of packing, shopping, some socializing (what a surprise!), more reading and hopefully a lot of love and confidence building! :)

My next entry will be written from an internet cafe in Kampala so if you want to contact me before then- email me! mhoganh@gmail.com

2 Comments:

At 10:32 AM, August 28, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, I can't believe you're leaving already! My friend spent a couple of years in Uganda with the Peace Corps and LOVED IT, so I'm sure you will have a great time. :)

 
At 10:34 AM, August 30, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Molly, so glad you made it safely! I've been thinking about you constantly this week. Enjoy yourself and stay confident. It'll be hard but worth it!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home